My father is missing presumed dead

Question: my father has been missing for 5 years.

We presume he is dead.  Can we deal with his assets?

Answer: Presumption of death

In England and Wales an application may be made to the relevant probate registrar for an order giving leave to swear to the death of the presumed deceased having occurrred on or since a specified date. Those asking for the order must convince the court the presumed deceased has in fact died but his body has never been found.

There must be evidence to show the presumed deceased has not just “done a runner” to avoid creditors, wife or partner or to gain from insurance. Remember the “canoe man” who was presumed dead recently. This is an order by the Court giving leave to administer the presumed deceased’s estate but not a declaration of death.

After 7 years of not being from application may be made to a Chancery Court for a declaration of death. Here the evidence must be stronger to convince the court to make the declaration.

The rules in Scotland and Norther Ireland are not the same, but they are not our area of expertise, though we can always put you in touch with the right people.