Save lots of time and take advantage of the Tell Us Once Service when someone dies. We do strongly recommend this really helpful service. It is available at the time you register the death but you need to book extra time with the Registrar to allow for it. There is a video introduction at the foot of the page. It advises various official bodies of the death in one go, rather than having to inform each of them individually, so saves lots of time.
The Tell Us Once Service: how does it help?
This new service means that you can “Tell Us Once” when registering a death, and then the Tell Us Once Service will tell a number of central and local government departments for you, saving you both time and dealing with uncomfortable matters.
The Tell Us Once Service is a free, optional service which will be offered to you at the end of the death registration appointment by the registrar. If you use the service, it usually takes 10 minutes to complete. If you are not the next of kin, you must have their permission.
How to use the Tell Us Once Service.
Once you have registered the death, the registrar will tell you about your options for using Tell Us Once. These are:
- in person, by making an appointment with your local authority bereavement adviser.
- By phone – the registrar will give you the phone number.
- online: to use the service online, your registrar will give you a unique Tell Us Once reference number, which you will need to log in.
To make sure the right information is given to the people the Tell Us Once Service contacts for you, please try to bring the following information about the person who has died:
- Their national insurance number.
- Their driving licence, if they had one.
- Their passport, if they had one.
- Their blue badge, if they had one.
If you don’t use the Tell Us Once service while you are with the registrar you can take up the service within four weeks of your appointment by ringing the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308.
The Registrar can also give you a Tell Us Once reference number which will enable you to use the Tell Us Once service online.
If you decide to use the Tell Us Once service they will be able to tell the following organisations:
Department for Work and Pensions
Pension, Disability and Carers Service.
Overseas Health Team.
Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency.
War Pensions Scheme
HM Revenue & Customs
Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit.
Identity and Passport Service.
Housing Benefit Office
Council Tax Benefit Office
Collection of payment for council services
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Tell Us Once Service.
Here’s a brief introduction from Cambridgeshire Council.
Most but not all registrars of births deaths and marriages have access to the service, and they won’t always have time to deal with it if you didn’t book in extra time to allow for it when you made the appointment, so it is important to mention that you wish to use it when making the appointment.
- tell us once service
- tell us once telephone number
- tell us once service online
- tell us once phone number
- tell us once helpline number
- tell us once service uk
- tell me once service
- tell us once form
- tell us once service salford
- tell us once service number
- tell us once breavement service - who does it inform
- tell us once
- tell us once service scotland
- tell us once service does the registra ring it
- tell us once online
- tell us once log in
- tell us once phone line
- tell us once online service