We hope you find our site useful – if you need economical professional help, please get in touch! But please read the page on PROBATE REGISTRY DELAYS (lastest update 15th October 2019) before calling us on 03 300 102 300. We can’t help once an application has been submitted. Delays are getting shorter, but we still hear of people waiting over 3 months.
GOOD NEWS: the proposed increase in probate fees has been dropped for the moment.
Probate fee update: fees for obtaining court-sealed copies of grants of probate increased on 23 July 2019 from £0.50 to £1.50.
Our job is to be sure that you do NOT pay through the nose!
ONE: If you want to DIY, we can point you in the right direction, and perhaps warn you if it is more complex than you think.
TWO: straightforward estates if you need professional help, we have tried and tested professionals who charge low fees for straightforward estates. Why pay full rates to a firm that may actually not have the right expertise?
THREE – more complex, we have a panel of experienced solicitors and others whom we have recommended in the past and never had a poor report. And they are far from expensive.
Maybe it will turn out you don’t need any help just a nudge in the right direction.
Either way, we have a special discount voucher plus our Probate and Planning Guide which should help everyone – just ask for it!
We’re happy to have a brief informal chat free or to send you some information to see if you actually need help. Not everyone does.
Some of the issues which may affect whom we would recommend to you are:
- If Inheritance Tax may be payable – firms who know how to minimise it now and in the future. Tax has to be paid promptly and accurately with the risk of large penalties.
- Similarly, if any of the beneficiaries are already close to having an IHT problem, some extra planning can save 40% tax – often repeatedly.
- Trusts in the estate.
- Overseas assets and folk not domiciled in the UK.
- Are there likely to be arguments or disputes? Family ones are most common, and paying a professional to take the flak can keep the family together.
- Would a deed of variation be appropriate?
- Where the family doesn’t have the time or admin skills!
Please bear in mind that there are almost infinite combinations of the Law and circumstances. Anything on this site is for general guidance only and should not be relied on upon without detailed advice.
Call 03 300 102 300 The Probate Department (brokers) Ltd who can connect you to the right professional advice.
We often get asked about this, which is nothing to do with us, but we hope this helps:
These are our Quick Links – more probate advice follows below the frequently asked probate questions.
PROFESSIONAL ASSISTED PROBATE. (leads to summary page).
Many common questions are answered HERE, such as
- Deed of Variation – changing the way an estate is shared out after death.
- DIY Probate – keeping costs to a minimum.
- Funeral Planning – making things much easier next time.
- IHT Planning – inheritance tax planning before and after a death.
- Registries contact Details.
- Professional Probate Cost – compare our associates fees.
- Legal Planning Checklist – what risks are you running for your yourself and family
- Inheritance Tax Planning Review and Advice.
The Probate Department aims is to make the process of probate – legally sorting out a person’s finances after they have died – as easy and inexpensive as we reasonably can by suggesting the right advisers. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or determination to cope with probate on anything but a very simple estate. Whether you have or not, you will find lots of probate help here. Immediately below are links to specific help pages.
Unfair Probate Fees – and how to avoid them.
If you do decide to opt for professional help, this is the page to read before you take any decisions. We hope you will come back to us as our advisers’ fees are both fair and sensible. But be aware that some probate firms fees are excessive, and you need to understand how to avoid unfair probate fees. Banks probate fees are generally even worse!
Probate Advice Fees – who pays?
Most of the costs of can just come out of the estate when probate is granted and the assets can be collected in. Therefore executors need not be afraid of being out of pocket if you ask for help with probate – as long as the estate is solvent. Our advisers’ fees are usually around a third less than the market rate. One notable case was 94% less than the “market leaders” quote we are told!
We can provide help throughout the UK via fellow professionals.
But we at The Probate Department can’t give any guidance (we ourselves do not give advice) except on English and Welsh matters as the UK probate rules differ in Scotland and N.I. – if you need help there, please use our Enquiry form and say that the help is in N.I. or Scotland and we will pass the enquiry on. That said, we have pretty good contacts for settling International probate cases.
Our team can only can only give brief free guidance, but even if there is little in the persons’ estate, should probate still be essential, we hope you will still find help throughout our site. Here are our offerings, starting at the free one:
- Lots of useful free UK probate information to read and download if you want to do everything yourself. Do watch the video too.
- UK Probate Help and Advice – pay for as much or as little help as you need along the way.
- Probate Instruct & Forget – tell us that you want the professionals to do the lot, and we will arrange that for you. By monitoring market fees, we can usually help you pay less, often much less.
Whatever you want, the starting point is either to give us a ring on 03 300 102 300 or just ask for the Probate Guide (via the form to the right.) We will be happy to have a brief 5 minute chat before you decide which route is right for you, and to answer your questions (informally, as we clearly don’t have all the facts).
Do watch the “What to do on Death” video – you will find it helpful.
How can we help you with estates in England and Wales?
The Probate Department team can offer as much or as little help as you need – we can arrange for professionals to do the whole job, or we’ll arrange 15 minutes advice at modest cost, if that is all you need. Even if you don’t call us today, why not bookmark this site so you can come back to it. Click here for our contact details. Sometimes all that is needed is for someone to explain everything to all involved to avoid things going very wrong in the family.
Why use us?
- We have a team of associates. They are not lawyers who try to do everything and don’t really know the ropes, but specialists.
- You could waste thousands or even tens of thousand pounds if you don’t speak to us. Worse, you could trigger a massive tax charge accidentally!
- Give us a call on 03 300 102 3o0 or ask for a quote.
The Probate Department (brokers) Ltd for help in the UK.