What sort of help do you need from The Probate Department Ltd?
The Probate Department is an ethical firm of who help by making available a menu of probate service options from selected third parties offering the type of service you need at sensible fees. We have found that the range of expertise needed to advise on every aspect of probate is just too wide for a single firm to manage – unless they are vast and with high overheads. We didn’t want to go down that route, so we have sourced firms with a wide variety of expertise whom we can introduce you too (and more enquiries are welcome). One thing we insist on, and that is that they do not charge you any more than if you had gone to them direct – they can pay us out of their advertising budget, not your pocket!
We’re happy to have a brief informal chat free or to send you some information to see if you actually need help. Not everyone does.
Some of the issues which may affect whom we would recommend to you are:
- If Inheritance Tax may be payable – firms who know how to minimise it now and in the future. Tax has to be paid promptly and accurately with the risk of large penalties.
- Similarly, if any of the beneficiaries are already close to having an IHT problem, some extra planning can save 40% tax – often repeatedly.
- Trusts in the estate.
- Overseas assets and folk not domiciled in the UK.
- Are there likely to be arguments or disputes? Family ones are most common, and paying a professional to take the flak can keep the family together.
- Would a deed of variation be appropriate?
- Where the family doesn’t have the time or admin skills!
Please bear in mind that there are almost infinite combinations of the Law and circumstances. Anything on this site is for general guidance only and should not be relied on upon without detailed advice.
Call 03 300 102 300 The Probate Department who can connect you to the right professional advice.
Horrendous increases in Probate Fees as from a yet not confirmed (though originally due for May 2017) mean that Lifetime Planning is critical, even if it is fairly last minute. Our resident experts can help. Maybe the vast increases have gone away – but we doubt it!
We often get asked about this, which is nothing to do with us, but we hope this helps:
These are our Quick Links – more probate advice follows below the frequently asked probate questions.
PROFESSIONAL ASSISTED PROBATE. (leads to summary page).
Many common questions are answered HERE, such as
- Deed of Variation – changing the way an estate is shared out after death.
- DIY Probate – keeping costs to a minimum.
- Funeral Planning – making things much easier next time.
- IHT Planning – inheritance tax planning before and after a death.
- Probate Registries contact Details.
- Professional Probate Cost – compare our fees.
- Legal Planning Checklist – what risks are you running for your yourself and family?
- HORRIFIC New Probate Registry Fees planned – they make better Lifetime Planning essential.
- Inheritance Tax Planning Review and Advice.
The Probate Department Ltd aims is to make the process of probate – legally sorting out a person’s finances after they have died – as easy and inexpensive as we reasonably can by suggesting the right advisers. Not everyone has the time, knowledge or determination to cope with probate on anything but a very simple estate. Whether you have or not, you will find lots of probate help here. Immediately below are links to specific help pages.
Unfair Probate Fees – and how to avoid them.
If you do decide to opt for professional help, this is the page to read before you take any decisions. We hope you will come back to us as our advisers fees are both fair and sensible. But be aware that some probate firms fees are excessive, and you need to understand how to avoid unfair probate fees. Banks probate fees are generally even worse!
Probate Advice Fees – who pays?
Most of the costs of probate can just come out of the estate when probate is granted and the assets can be collected in. Therefore executors need not be afraid of being out of pocket if you ask for help with probate – as long as the estate is solvent. Our advisers fees are usually around a third less than the market rate.
We can provide probate services throughout the UK via fellow professionals.
But we at The Probate Department can’t give any guidance, except on English and Welsh matters as the UK probate rules differ in Scotland and N.I. – if you need help there, please use our Probate Enquiry form and say that the help is in N.I. or Scotland and we will pass the enquiry on. That said, we have pretty good contacts for settling International probate cases.
The Probate Department is and we can only give brief free guidance, but even if there is little in the persons estate, should probate still be essential, we hope you will still find probate help throughout our site.
Here are our offerings, starting at the free one:
- Lots of useful free UK probate information to read and download if you want to do everything yourself. Do watch the video too.
- UK Probate Help and Advice – pay for as much or as little help as you need along the way.
- Probate Instruct & Forget – tell us that you want the professionals to do the lot, and we will arrange that for you. By monitoring market fees, we can usually help you pay less, often much less.
Whatever you want, the starting point is either to give us a ring on 03 300 102 300 or just ask for the Probate Guide (via the form to the right.) We will be happy to have a brief 5 minute chat before you decide which route is right for you, and to answer your questions (informally, as we clearly won’t have all the facts).
Do watch the “What to do on Death” video – you will find it helpful.
How can The Probate Department Ltd help you with Probate in England and Wales?
The Probate Department team can offer as much or as little help as you need – we can arrange for professionals to do the whole job, or we’ll arrange 15 minutes advice at modest cost, if that is all you need. Even if you don’t call us today, why not bookmark this site so you can come back to it. Click here for the Probate Department contact details. Sometimes all that is needed is for someone to explain everything to all involved to avoid things going very wrong in the family.
Why use the Probate Department?
- We have a team of associates. They are not lawyers who try to do everything and don’t really know the ropes, but probate specialists.
- You could waste thousands or even tens of thousand pounds if you don’t speak to us. Worse, you could trigger a massive tax charge accidentally!
The Probate Department Ltd for Probate help in the UK.